Judd Apatow Says Its Insulting to Put Barbie in the Oscar Race for Adapted Screenplay There Was No Existing Material Variety
News Source : Variety
- There was a clear box.” Variety exclusively reported on Wednesday that “Barbie” will compete for a best adapted screenplay nomination in the Oscar race, despite campaigning for original screenplay..
- Gerwig, who became the first woman to helm a billion-dollar movie, has been nominated for three Oscars in her career: “Lady Bird” (2016) for original screenplay and directing and “Little Women” (2019) in adapted..
- Eligible voting members of the branch will only be able to cast votes for the “Barbie” script, which Gerwig co-wrote with husband and fellow Oscar nominee Noah Baumbach, in adapted screenplay..
- Each awards body and voting group has its own subset of rules for movies in terms of which screenplay category they can submit or ultimately be nominated..
- https://t.co/8phHXmag7Q The Writers Branch executive committee of AMPAS most likely moved the hot-pink comedy to adapted screenplay because Barbie and Ken were pre-existing dolls from Mattel..
- By Michaela Zee Judd Apatow disagrees with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ decision to classify Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” as an adapted screenplay rather than original..
Judd Apatow disagrees with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decision to classify Greta Gerwigs Barbie as an adapted screenplay rather than original. Its insulting to the writer [+1721 chars]