Is the latest nearroomtemperature superconductor legit? Dont count on it TechCrunch
News Source : TechCrunch
- That’s not room temperature, but it’s much easier to maintain than existing high-temperature superconductors, which have to be at around –170°C (–274°F).If the paper’s results are what they say, that is.It wouldn’t be the first time people’s hopes were dashed..
- Another one, detailed in a paper co-authored by Ranga Dias and others, made a splash in March only to be subject to a retraction in September.This new material picks up where LK-99 left off, which isn’t really an auspicious starting point..
- In the paper, the Chinese team says the material exhibits one of the properties of superconductors at temperatures as warm as –23°C (–9.4°F)..
- The one that grabbed the most headlines — LK-99 — dominated the internet for a few weeks over the summer before succumbing to the scientific method..
- (It should be noted that most of these people do not appear to be scientists let alone condensed-matter physicists.).
- Last year was a banner year for room-temperature superconductors that weren’t..
If youre someone who loves an internet hype cycle, good news Theres a new group of scientists who claim to have discovered a nearroomtemperature superconductor.Yes, again.People on X (formerly [+1241 chars]