SpaceX fires up giant Starship rocket ahead of 3rd test flight (video) Space.com | Makemetechie.com Summary
- Starship suffered a number of problems during its April debut, most notably the failure of its two stages to separate as planned, and SpaceX detonated the vehicle intentionally four minutes after liftoff.Flight 2 notched some major successes, among them stage separation and a nominal first-stage engine burn..
- The FAA is overseeing an investigation into what happened on Flight 2; it won't grant a license until that inquiry is done and SpaceX has implemented corrective actions, if any are required.Join our Space Forums to keep talking space on the latest missions, night sky and more!.
- And if you have a news tip, correction or comment, let us know at: [email protected] space news, the latest updates on rocket launches, skywatching events and more!Michael Wall is a Senior Space Writer with Space.com and joined the team in 2010..
- Both missions aimed to send the upper stage most of the way around Earth, targeting a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean near Hawaii.Neither flight achieved that goal..
- He primarily covers exoplanets, spaceflight and military space, but has been known to dabble in the space art beat..
- Super Heavy sports 33 Raptors and Starship is powered by six of them, as SpaceX's post on X today noted.Starship has flown twice to date, on test flights in April and November of this year..
Space is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Visit our corporate site.Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street,New York,NY 10036.