Lawmakers Express Concern Over Apples Anticompetitive Treatment of iMessage for Android App MacRumors | Makemetechie.com Summary
- But consumers will never benefit from competition if dominant firms are allowed to snuff out that competition at its incipiency.We are therefore concerned that Apple's recent actions to disable Beeper Mini harm competition, eliminate choices for consumers, and will discourage future innovation and investment in interoperable messaging services..
- The letter suggests that Beeper Mini reduced Apple's iMessage "leverage" over iPhone users, leading Apple to shut it down.As you know, interoperability and interconnection have long been key drivers of competition and consumer choice in communications services, from telephones to email..
- We also fear these types of tactics may more broadly chill future investment and innovation from those that seek to compete with existing digital gatekeepers..
- All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts..
- Startups and small businesses drive innovation, create jobs, and can disrupt entrenched incumbents when allowed to compete..