- The order will require industry to develop safety and security standards, introduce new consumer protections and give federal agencies an extensive to-do list to oversee the rapidly progressing technology..
- Biden on Monday, Oct. 30, will sign a sweeping executive order to guide the development of artificial intelligence..
- “That’s issuing guidance and standards to shape private sector behavior and leading by example in the federal government’s own use of AI.” The order builds on voluntary commitments already made by technology companies..
- The extensive order touches on matters of privacy, civil rights, consumer protections, scientific research and worker rights.FILE - The OpenAI logo is seen on a mobile phone in front of a computer screen which displays output from ChatGPT, Tuesday, March 21, 2023, in Boston..
- (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer, File)White House chief of staff Jeff Zients recalled Biden giving his staff a directive when formulating the order to move with urgency.“We can’t move at a normal government pace,” Zients said the Democratic president told him..
- The president also pressed tech executives and civil society advocates about the technology’s capabilities at multiple gatherings.“He was as impressed and alarmed as anyone,” deputy White House chief of staff Bruce Reed said in an interview..
By JOSH BOAK and MATT OBRIEN Associated PressWASHINGTON (AP) President Joe Biden on Monday signed an ambitious executive order on artificial intelligence that seeks to balance the needs of cutti [+7394 chars]