- The White House has selected the Philadelphia area and West Virginia for two regional hubs to produce and deliver hydrogen fuel, an important part of the Biden administration’s clean energy plan, according to a person familiar with the plan..
- The intent is to accelerate the availability and use of the colorless, odorless gas that already powers some vehicles and trains.Among those selected were the Appalachian Regional Clean Hydrogen Hub, based in West Virginia, and the Philadelphia-based Mid-Atlantic Clean Hydrogen Hub..
- The hub plans to use renewable energy, natural gas and nuclear energy.The Pacific Northwest hub, based in eastern Washington, will extend to Oregon and Montana and will use hydropower and other renewable resources to produce clean hydrogen..
- “West Virginia will be on the leading edge of building out the new hydrogen market.’'The Appalachian hub will extend to Ohio and includes a $1.6 billion facility under construction in northern Pennsylvania that is working to produce near-zero emissions hydrogen from natural gas..
- Gavin Newsom said Friday.The Gulf Coast Hydrogen Hub will be centered in Houston, long the energy capital of the U.S., and plans large-scale hydrogen production from both natural gas and renewables..
- Big fossil fuel companies, renewable energy developers and researchers in university and government labs are involved, too.Environmental groups are skeptical, arguing that while hydrogen is a clean-burning source of power, it takes a great deal of energy to produce..
By MATTHEW DALY and MARC LEVY Associated PressWASHINGTON (AP) Cleanenergy projects in seven states from Pennsylvania to California have been selected by the Biden administration for a $7 billion [+6862 chars]