I try synthetic salmon and enter the uncanny valley of taste
- This left the faux fish even flakier than in the first two courses, but the crust had such a strong flavor that it overrode the taste of the salmon itself.The fourth offering consisted of seared salmon on a bed of feta-infused polenta.
- Distribution in grocery stores will come later, and the company hopes to achieve price parity with wild-caught salmon as it scales up production.I left the dinner feeling contentedly full and confident that I would enjoy eating New School’s product again if served to me, especially if prepared that artfully.
- Rob Pegoraro - Aug 19, 2023 2:33 pm UTC I could count on one thing as I sat down for a multiple-course meal based on something that looked very much like salmon: I would not have to worry about any bones.
- Yet, when dabbed with the plant-based butter next to it on the plate, this faux fish was delicious overall.For the third fish course, New School’s hired chef marinated the salmon for about a half-hour and then topped it with a panko-and-basil crust before roasting it.
- This homogeneous hydrogel is placed in contact with a freezing surface and the gel is directionally frozen, resulting in the formation of thousands of directionally aligned, microscopic ice crystals traveling away from the freezing source.Once the gel is fully frozen, the ice is removed, leaving behind empty channels.
- The raw output of New School’s process was used in the first course served at the dinner: salmon ceviche.
Enlarge/ It may look a lot like fish, but its not.12 with I could count on one thing as I sat down for a multiplecourse meal based on something that looked very much like salmon I would not ha [+6704 chars]