How to pick the coolest clothing for a heat wave | CNN
- “If you’re making the wrong clothing choices, it can not only contribute to skin complications such as irritation, chafing and heat rash, but it can also contribute to heat exhaustion,” said Houston dermatologist Dr. Rajani Katta, a spokesperson for the American Academy of Dermatology.
- “You need to factor that in because heat and humidity make the skin more prone to irritation, and when you add friction from rough clothing, it can make things worse.” Another option: clothing with vents that can open to improve airflow around the body.
- “Wearing loosely fitting clothing that’s breathable and can allow for the evaporation of sweat from the body and the release of heat from the skin is going to be really critical,” he added.
- Hu considers cotton and natural fiber fabrics to be a first generation of clothing, garments with ultraviolet and other protections as second generation, and those with the ability to move moisture from the skin to the outside of the garment as the third generation.
- People with sensitive skin or who are prone to irritation or chafing need to consider the feel of the natural fabric against their skin when choosing a garment from natural fibers, Katta said.
- “I really want to emphasize that the best clothing choices aren’t going to help you overcome a high heat index.” That’s where next-generation “smart fabrics” will come in, said Jinlian Hu, a professor in the department of biomedical engineering at the City University of Hong Kong.
It has been the hottest summeron record, and according to scientists,it wont be the last. As the planet warms, experts say picking the right clothing to beat the heat will be critical to your healt [+6815 chars]