When it comes to advanced math, ChatGPT is no star student
- “There’s a middle [road] for some use cases; ChatGPT is performing pretty well [for some students and educators], but for others, not so much,” Simon elaborated.At the testing level of high school and undergraduate math classes, ChatGPT performs well, ranking in the 89th percentile for the SAT math test.
- While ChatGPT failed on a significant number of them, its correct answers suggested that it could be useful for math researchers and teachers as a type of specialized search engine.The media tends to portray ChatGPT’s mathematical intelligence as either brilliant or incompetent.
- ChatGPT can help relay technical information in more basic terms, but it may not always provide the correct solution, especially for upper-level math.An international team of researchers tested what the software could manage by providing the generative AI program with challenging graduate-level mathematics questions.
- ChatGPT can pass these tests because it can recall facts that it has picked up in its training.”Simon and his research team proposed a unique set of upper-level math questions to assess whether ChatGPT also had test-taking and problem-solving skills.
- We’re often led to believe that these tests evaluate our intelligence, but more often than not, they evaluate our ability to recall facts.
- “One thing media have focused on is ChatGPT’s ability to pass various popular standardized tests,” stated Leah Henrickson, a professor of digital media at the University of Queensland.
3 with While learning highlevel mathematics is no easy feat, teaching math concepts can often be just as tricky. That may be why many teachers are turning to ChatGPT for help. According to a recen [+2548 chars]