Stability AI launches StableLM, an open source ChatGPT alternative
- With refinement, StableLM could be used to build an open source alternative to ChatGPT.StableLM is currently available in alpha form on GitHub in 3 billion and 7 billion parameter model sizes, with 15 billion and 65 billion parameter models to follow, according to Stability.
- Stability's move into language models could inspire similar results.Users can test the 7 billion-parameter StableLM base model Hugging Face and the fine-tuned model on Replicate.
- "According to Stability AI, StableLM has been trained on "a new experimental data set" based on an open source data set called The Pile, but three times larger.
- Having fewer parameters makes a language model smaller and more efficient, which can make it easier to run on local devices like smartphones and laptops.
- Stability hopes to repeat the catalyzing effects of its Stable Diffusion open source image synthesis model, launched in 2022.
- "Like GPT-4—the large language model (LLM) that powers the most powerful version of ChatGPT—StableLM generates text by predicting the next token (word fragment) in a sequence.
Enlarge/ An AIgenerated image of a Stochastic Parrot created by Stability AI.21 with On Wednesday, Stability AI released a new family of open source AI language models called StableLM. Stabili [+4440 chars]