Is there really a march from the public cloud back onprem?
- It turns out that the cloud is expensive, and the more workloads you move to the cloud, the more it costs.
- Looking ahead, we continue to forecast strong growth in the cloud market and weak growth in on-prem infrastructure.”
- But even if you were wrong on that point, it’s the agility of the public cloud that has always been its primary value proposition.Think back for a second to the bad old days of on-prem, when you had to plan for capacity.
- Go figure.When we were in the “growth at all costs” phase between 2021 and 2022, it was easy to ignore or minimize the costs associated with operating in the cloud.
- If it’s truly so expensive and difficult, how does it make sense for companies to do that?I decided to explore if companies really want to move back on-prem.
- Why did you move to the cloud in the first place?
It turns out that the cloud is expensive, and the more workloads you move to the cloud, the more it costs. Go figure.When we were in the growth at all costs phase between 2021 and 2022, it was easy [+2752 chars]