1,100+ notable signatories just signed an open letter asking all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months
- )Musk is perhaps the least surprising signatory of this open letter, given that he has been talking about AI safety for many years and has more lately taken aim at OpenAI specifically, suggesting that the company is all talk and no action.
- But I wish he would do more to look at the hard work we’re doing to get this stuff right.”We’re still digesting this letter (others are already tearing it to shreds).In the meantime, you can read it in full here.
- Altman also noted that the company has long given priority to safety in development and spent more than six months doing safety tests on GPT-4 before its launch.
- No one from OpenAI, the outfit behind the large language model GPT-4, has signed this letter, for example.
- Said Altman: “Elon is obviously attacking us some on Twitter right now on a few different vectors, and I have empathy because I believe he is — understandably so — really stressed about AGI safety.
- (A newer report from the outlet Semafor says Musk left after his offer to run OpenAI was rebuffed by its other cofounders, including Altman, who assumed the role of CEO in early 2019.
As of this writing, more than 1,100 signatories, including Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak, and Tristan Harris of the Center for Humane Technology, have signed an open letter that calls on all AI labs to i [+1926 chars]