Xi awarded 3rd term as Chinas president, extending rule
- BEIJING (AP) — Chinese leader Xi Jinping was awarded a third five-year term as the nation’s president Friday, putting him on track to stay in power for life at a time of severe economic challenges and rising tensions with the U.S. and others.
- While six others serve with him on the Politburo Standing Committee, all have longstanding ties to Xi and can be counted on to see to his will on issues from party discipline to economic management.
- When Xi was named to his first term as president in 2013, NPC members received a ballot with only his name on it and dropped it unchanged into a box.
- Wang has been a top adviser to three Chinese leaders and has authored books critiquing Western politics and society.
- The vast majority of the body’s legislative work is headed by its Standing Committee, which meets year-round.
- China’s military spending is the world’s second highest after the United States.
BEIJING (AP) Chinese leader Xi Jinping was awarded a third fiveyear term as the nations president Friday, putting him on track to stay in power for life at a time of severe economic challenges and [+8888 chars]