Metas hardware plans include thinner Quest this year, adsupported AR in 2027
- That's according to a leaked internal hardware roadmap presentation obtained by The Verge that also includes plans for high-end, smartband-controlled, ad-supported AR glasses by 2027.The "Quest 3" will also include a new "Smart Guardian" system that lets users walk around safely in "mixed reality," according to the presentation.
- "A third planned Meta VR headset, codenamed La Jolla and planned for "way out in the future" after Ventura, will feature enough power and resolution for the company's long-planned, photorealistic "codec avatars."
- "News of Meta's VR/AR product plans comes as the company lost more than $1 billion per month on its VR/AR-focused Reality Labs division in 2022 and a few months after the company laid off 13 percent of its workforce in a recognition that some recent investments hadn't paid off.
- Those glasses will also make use of a planned "neural interface" band.
- That will come ahead of a more "accessible" headset, codenamed Ventura, which is planned for a release in 2024 at "the most attractive price point in the VR consumer market.
- Kyle Orland - Mar 1, 2023 5:09 pm UTC The next Meta Quest headset, planned for launch this year, will be thinner, twice as powerful, and slightly more expensive than the Quest 2.
Enlarge/ The Meta Quest Pro at a Best Buy demo station in October 2022.5 with The next Meta Quest headset, planned for launch this year, will be thinner, twice as powerful, and slightly more expe [+3486 chars]