Akamai reaches for the cloud
- These new sites will go live in the second quarter of the year and become the template for the additional 10 new sites the company plans to launch worldwide over the course of the next year.Note that Akamai deliberately calls these locations “sites” and not data centers.
- Given our ability to apply CDN-like economics to cloud egress costs, we expect we’ll be able to offer many enterprise customers egress pricing that could be 80% lower than what they’re accustomed to,” the company said.
- When asked about the pricing, though, the company didn’t share any specifics, beyond its plans to offer very low egress pricing.
- At the time, Akamai said it wanted to combine Linode with its edge platform and security services.
- Through the acquisition of Linode and what we’re doing on our roadmap, we’re really building out our cloud computing services and technology.
- “So you’ve got this massive, globally distributed network that allows customers to deliver and secure.
A year ago, Akamai acquired Linode for $900 million. At the time, Akamai said it wanted to combine Linode with its edge platform and security services. Unsurprisingly, thats exactly what it is doing [+3262 chars]