Apple is reportedly working on MacBooks with touchscreens
- Meanwhile, Apple’s competitors, including Microsoft, have built a long line of touchscreen laptops with different form factors.Steve Jobs famously called touchscreens on laptops “ergonomically terrible” back in 2010.“We’ve done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn’t work.
- The closest Apple ever got around to bringing a touchscreen on a Mac was adding the TouchBar on the keyboard— which is slowly being phased out — on MacBook Pros.Apple has long maintained that iPad is the best touchscreen “computer” out there.
- According to Bloomberg, Apple is actively working on this project and may break away from its long-standing approach of designing a traditional desktop system without a touchscreen.Apple could launch MacBooks with touchscreens by 2025 as a part of a new MacBook Pro lineup, the Bloomberg report adds.
- This lineup revamp could also see the company switching from LCD to OLED displays for the 14-inch and 16-inch Pro models.Earlier this week, another Bloomberg report indicated that Apple was aiming to make its own screens for Apple Watch and iPhone.
- However, there was no mention of the company building displays for its Mac lineup.Apple executives have long maintained the stance that MacBooks don’t need to have a touchscreen.
- The company might have to slowly move away from that narrative if they are planning to launch MacBooks with a touchscreen.
After years of denials and loathing, Apple may finally be getting around to bringing touchscreens to MacBooks. According to Bloomberg, Apple is actively working on this project and may break away fro [+2475 chars]