CES 2023 Ram electric pickup joins crowded field next year The Associated Press
- Caldwell thinks the market for electric pickups will include buyers who use them for work and those who otherwise would buy an electric SUV for personal use.Electric trucks, she said, “kind of give people who maybe were on the fence about (an EV) more reason to buy.”
- The prices of the EV trucks, which are comparatively costly, will have to move closer to those of gasoline versions to pull buyers away, said Michelle Krebs, executive analyst for Cox Automotive.Ford’s electric pickup initially was to have a version starting around $40,000.
- Electric trucks may also appeal to companies that buy fleets of work trucks and want to receive tax credits and avoid paying for gasoline.
- Lithium and other (battery) mineral prices are high.”Automakers say that prices should decline as the companies spread costs across more vehicles and as breakthroughs in battery chemistry reduce the quantity or even eliminate minerals now needed to store energy.
- And this year or next, three others — the Chevrolet Silverado EV, GMC Sierra EV and Tesla’s Cybertruck — are scheduled to roll out.Yet executives at Ram, which is Stellantis’ truck and commercial vehicle brand, say it doesn’t bother them to be following rather than leading their competitors.
- But the Ram EV, Koval said, will surpass competitors in the areas that customers value the most: payload, towing, range and technology.GM has announced that the Silverado EV will be able to travel over 400 miles (640 kilometers) on a single charge.
DETROIT (AP) When a futuristiclooking electric Ram pickup truck goes on sale next year, it will hardly be the first in line.By then, at least seven EV competitors are scheduled to be on sale, all [+4451 chars]