Singaporebased AlterPacks turns food waste into food containers
- AlterPacks uses spent grains because they are easily available.AlterPacks founders Steven Tan, Karen Cheah and Herbin Chia“The properties of spent grains and the volume of grains available globally were two key factors,” she said.
- AlterPacks can manufacture containers at scale with automated machines that clean raw materials, mix its formulation and then press it into different shapes of containers.AlterPacks’ containers have been available commercially since December.
- AlterPacks is tackling both issues with technology that turns food waste into takeout boxes and other containers.
- Spent grains are usually used for animal feed, fertilizer or disposed of.
- Food waste and food packaging take up a significant portion of the world’s landfills.
- We are glad that we managed to tap into our partnership with SEEDS Capital to co-lead and invest in our very first sustainability startup in APAC and we hope this will be the first of many other sustainability investments with SEEDS Capital.”
Food waste and food packaging take up a significant portion of the worlds landfills. AlterPacks is tackling both issues with technology that turns food waste into takeout boxes and other containers. [+2892 chars]