Hall of Fame NFL official Art McNally dies at age 97
- He utilized weekly training videos and rules quizzes to help improve the officiating across the league.“That was brand new,” Dean Blandino, one of McNally’s successors as the NFL’s head of officiating, said before McNally’s induction.“That was kind of cutting edge.
- Art came in and understood that this was something that was needed and laid that foundation and that foundation is still what we stand on today in the officiating world.
- Art McNally, the first on-field official inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has died.
- “Throughout his distinguished officiating career, he earned the eternal respect of the entire football community.
- Fittingly, he was the first game official enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.
- If you look up the definition of integrity in the dictionary and there’s a picture of Art.”McNally is survived by his wife, Sharon, his children Marybeth, Tom and Michael, and his grandchildren.___AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL
By JOSH DUBOW AP Pro Football WriterArt McNally, the first onfield official inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has died. He was 97.His son, Tom McNally, said Monday that his father d [+4392 chars]