Ukraine, ChinaUS frictions dominate at G20 summit in Bali
- But even having top leaders of the two sides meet after a long hiatus during the pandemic is progress of a kind that might facilitate more productive talks in the larger G-20 meeting, which includes 19 of the largest economies and the European Union.
- The G-20 meetings provide another opportunity for leaders to show unity in their support for Ukraine, discussions that “are inseparable from those on how we can strengthen our collective security,” Sunak said.
- NUSA DUA, Indonesia (AP) — Discord over Russia’s war on Ukraine and festering tensions between the U.S. and China are proving to be ominous backdrops for world leaders gathering in Indonesia’s tropical Bali island for a summit of the Group of 20 biggest economies starting Tuesday.
- Families are worried that they’re not going to be able to put food on the table or won’t be able to heat their homes during winter,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a business conference on the sidelines of the G-20 meetings.
- In myriad ways, the war’s repercussions have encompassed the globe as disruptions to grain shipments and energy supplies have pushed costs of living sharply higher.
- U.S. officials said no joint statement was expected after the meeting with Xi and suggested policy breakthroughs were unlikely.
By ELAINE KURTENBACH Associated PressNUSA DUA, Indonesia (AP) Discord over Russias war on Ukraine and festering tensions between the U.S. and China are proving to be ominous backdrops for world l [+4089 chars]