Ukraine war, tensions with China loom over big Bali summit
- It has amplified disruptions to energy supplies, shipping and food security, pushing prices sharply higher and complicating efforts to stabilize the world economy after the upheavals of the pandemic.United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is urging the G-20 to provide financial help for the developing world.
- That would be less than half of last year’s 8.1% and the second lowest in decades.Chinese President Xi will be coming to the summit emboldened by his appointment to an unusual third term as party chairman, making him China’s strongest leader in decades.
- Biden and Xi will hold their first in-person meeting since Biden became president in January 2021 on the event’s sidelines Monday.The U.S. is at odds with China over a host of issues, including human rights, technology and the future of the self-ruled island of Taiwan.
- Host Indonesia’s economy grew at a 5.7% pace in the last quarter, one of the fastest among G-20 nations.
- But economists say activity is slowing under the pressure of pandemic controls, a crackdown on technology companies and a downturn in the real estate sector.
- “The last thing they wanted was to be in the middle of this geopolitical fight, this war in Europe, and be the crossroads of it.
By ADAM SCHRECK and ELAINE KURTENBACH Associated PressNUSA DUA, Indonesia (AP) A showdown between Presidents Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin isnt happening, but the fallout from Russias invasion of [+8905 chars]