Germanys Scholz makes difficult visit to assertive China
- BERLIN (AP) — Chancellor Olaf Scholz is making his first visit to China as German leader this week, a diplomatically delicate trip while Germany and the European Union work on their strategy toward an increasingly assertive and authoritarian Beijing.Scholz’s messages will face close scrutiny.
- 2 export destination after the U.S.Scholz’s government has sought to balance those ties with recognition that China is increasingly a competitor and “systemic rival,” as well as a partner on issues such as climate change.
- China was Germany’s biggest trading partner in 2021 for the sixth consecutive year, its biggest single source of imports and its No.
- In a compromise, COSCO was cleared to take a stake below 25%, above which an investor can block a company’s decisions.Scholz has appeared to tread a middle path on China.
- Unlike his two immediate predecessors, he made Japan rather than China his first Asian destination.
- But Russia’s war in Ukraine is concentrating minds as Germany grapples with the fallout of having depended on Russia for over half its natural gas supplies.
By GEIR MOULSON Associated PressBERLIN (AP) Chancellor Olaf Scholz is making his first visit to China as German leader this week, a diplomatically delicate trip while Germany and the European Uni [+5976 chars]